Our structure is located in the heart of Ragusa, a baroque town that in 1693 was destroyed by a violent earthquake and then rebuilt on the slopes of Mount Lauro. The oldest part takes the name of Ragusa Ibla and houses ancient noble palaces and numerous baroque churches including the majestic Cathedral of San Giorgio. The splendid panorama is also visible from the panoramic staircase of the church of Santa Maria delle Scale from which you can see all the ancient Ragusa Ibla perched on the mountain adjacent to our structure. This staircase connects Ragusa Ibla with the Historic Center of Ragusa Superiore, or the part of the city rebuilt after the earthquake of 1693. Even the historic center of Ragusa Superiore is characterized by numerous churches and palaces in Baroque style, among which the Cathedral of San John the Baptist.
In addition to numerous sites of historical and artistic interest, the city of Ragusa is also famous for its peculiar eno-gastronomic traditions and for its proximity to the beautiful white sandy beaches that are just 20 minutes away. Ragusa is therefore a pleasant combination of art, history, culture, sea and eno-gastronomic traditions located in a landscape with a mild climate all year round and therefore ideal for your holiday at any time.
Our structure is located 10 minutes walk from Ragusa Ibla, following the aforementioned staircase, 2 minutes from the historic center of Ragusa Superiore, and 20 minutes from the sea (Marina di Ragusa). Very close to our structure are also bars, pubs, restaurants, pizzerias, supermarkets, bakeries, butchers, pharmacies, as well as the bus station (about 10 minutes away) and the Civil Hospital (about 5 minutes away). A 40-minute drive away are the interesting tourist sites of Noto, Siracusa and Marzamemi; The Baroque sites of Modica and Scicli are just a 20-minute drive away. A 15-minute drive away is the beautiful Donnufugata Castle.
Our structure is also located about 100 meters from the San Vito Bridge, from which you can admire the other two bridges of the city: the Ponte Vecchio (also called Ponte Padre Scopetta), which is the oldest and now only pedestrian, and the bridge of Via Roma (also called Ponte Nuovo). The three bridges overlook the Vallata Santa Domenica, the green lung of Ragusa, and give to those who look at them a unique panorama, which has given Ragusa the nickname "City of the three bridges".
For fans of the fiction "The Commissioner Montalbano", finally, the province of Ragusa is the right place to visit because its wonderful landscapes are the places where this fiction is set: we start from the famous house of Montalbano in Punta Secca, and then continue with the Castle of Donnafugata, which represents the home of the boss Balduccio Sinagra, to get to Ragusa Ibla, where many scenes are shot in external fiction, especially in front of the majestic Cathedral of San Giorgio. Also in Ragusa Ibla there is also the Circle of Conversation, where some scenes have been shot, and the Church of San Giuseppe in Piazza Pola which in the last episodes represented the headquarters of the Vigata police station. The tour of Montalbano also continues in the areas of Modica and Scicli. In Scicli, in particular, there is the Town Hall which was for many episodes the headquarters of the Commissariat of Vigata, inside which is the room of the Questore of Montelusa (which is actually the room of the Mayor). Finally, to complete the tour, we also remember the Fornace Penna, in Sampieri, in Pisciotto, a former brick factory destroyed by fire, which in the film was renamed "La Mànnara".